Monday, December 08, 2008

Ricky Gervais On Atheism

Ricky Gervais on religious burden of proof:
'There are so many reasons to believe in God - the biggest one is: If there is no God what happens to me when I die? That's belief through necessity. The alternative is unthinkable. Now I wish I was taller, but it's not going to happen. And if truth be told, I wish there was a God. Of course, I don't want to live for 80 years and then be worm's meat. It would be brilliant but it's not going to happen, it's impossible. When I'm dying I probably will go 'I wish there was a God', but it doesn't mean there is. Wishing for something doesn't mean it's possible.'

He lightens up again. 'It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be: 'You came up with the idea. Why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers. But I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly.' They'd go: 'What do you mean 'Prove you can't fly'? Prove you can!''
Source: The Telegraph UK



Ricky is doing a show in London next week called "Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People".
Organised by Gervais's touring sidekick Robin Ince, the line-up includes both men, along with Chris Addison, Phill Jupitus, Stewart Lee, Dara O'Briain and Mark Thomas. The bill is bolstered by leading lights from the world of science - including arch atheist Richard Dawkins - and music from, among others, Jarvis Cocker.
More here on the show.

No comments: